What a great time of the year! Days are getting warmer, the sun is shining longer and the birds have returned, ushering in a beautiful summer season.
The Akron area hit over 80 degrees for the first time since last fall, and it’s just the beginning. The Farmer’s Almanac is calling for a warmer than average (and wetter) summer and, as they were right on the money with winter by predicting colder than normal temperatures with more snow, I’d say we are in for a some hot and humid months ahead. Now would be a great time to prepare for the impending heat, so here are a few tips:
- Keep your blinds closed. Your blinds act like a solar reflecting layer, limiting the heat that seeps into your home from the blazing sunshine.
- If the weather is forecast to be above the mid 80’s, adjust the temperature if you’re going to be away, but not by more than 2-4 degrees. If your home gets too warm during the day, it will take the unit all evening to catch up. It’s like riding a bike, once you are up to speed it’s easy to keep cruising, but if you slow down the pace you have to work twice as hard to get back up to speed.
- Make use of your indoor ceiling fans. The ceiling fan will help to circulate the air in the room, which will make occupants feel cooler.
- Have your unit cleaned and tuned. Ensuring that your unit is cleaned and tuned at the beginning of the summer season will help to extend the life of your unit, as well as reduce operating costs.
- House keeping items: Remember to change that air filter and make sure the humidifier is turned off.
I would like to give a note of thanks to our excellent technicians and installers. No matter how inclement the weather, our technicians are always ready to serve you. They make a great team, and our seasoned technicians are always mentoring our new and eager-to -learn techs. At Jennings, we find that those in the millennial generation make great technicians and embrace the new technologies we are using each day such as tablets, thermal imaging, etc. If you know of someone who may be looking for a solid and promising career, the HVAC industry offers a lot of opportunity; feel free to refer them to Jennings to explore career options or schedule an informational interview. To learn more visit www.jenningsheating.com/employment.
President & CEO
Jennings Heating and Cooling