Signs of spring are all around us-buds are blooming, the grass needs cutting and allergies are kicking in! As the season for sneezing and eye watering is upon us, it’s a great time to change your furnace filter in addition to getting one of our air cleaners, which can catch the pollen in the air before your nose does.
Our phones here are beginning to ring off the hook with customers looking to have their air conditioner checked ahead of the coming hot summer days, so beat the heat and the rush by scheduling your tune-up with us today. Jennings Rewards customers may have already received a call to schedule an air conditioning check. If we are unable to reach you by phone we will be sure to drop a postcard in the mail as a reminder. If you prefer, feel free to call in and talk to one of our customer service representatives to schedule a time that’s convenient for you. Not yet a rewards customer? Learn more about the benefits of joining our Jennings Rewards program.
Another sign that spring has indeed sprung is that our retractable awnings have arrived in the warehouse and they are flying off the shelves! Retractable awnings are the perfect solution to enjoy all that nature has to offer while avoiding the hot glare of the much-anticipated sun. If the volume of retractable awning purchases for decks and patios are any indication of the warm weather to come, things will be heating up soon!
Here are a few tips and tricks of the trade for the cooling season ahead:
- Remove any leaves, sticks, or other debris from around your air conditioning unit.
- Close the supply registers in the basement. The basement needs heat in the winter, but if your registers are left open during the cooling season, the basement will become chilly and uncomfortable.
- Make sure the registers and dampers that service the second level of your home are open. If the first level feels cooler than the second floor you can cut back the registers on the first floor while opening the registers on the second to get more air where it is needed. However, don’t close the first floor registers more than halfway as that can cause lack of airflow and actually freeze the unit.
- Sweating ductwork in the basement could be due to lack of airflow, a dirty filter and/or excessive air infiltration (check to make sure all of your windows are shut tight).
- If your system is 15 years old or more you may want to consider installing a new system as today’s unit are at least 20% to 30% more efficient than their older counterparts. Not only will this save you money on operating costs in the long run, you could also avoid inconvenient and costly breakdowns when you need your cool air the most.
From all of us at Jennings Heating and Cooling, we hope you have a wonderful May and enjoy your Mother’s Day and Memorial Day celebrations.
Thanks, Mike Foraker